A pizza stone yields puffier bread. If you don't have one, use the back of a heavy jelly roll pan to bake these. After it has risen, you can keep the dough refrigerated for three days.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 233
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.3g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 578mg
- Calcium: 15mg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 cup whole wheat flour to yeast mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours (batter will be bubbly).
- Stir in salt and oil. Lightly spoon bread flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add bread flour, stirring with a spoon. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky). Coat the inside of a large zip-top plastic bag with cooking spray; add dough. Seal and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- Place pizza stone on the bottom rack in oven. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; shape into 12-inch log. Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), shape each portion into a ball. Cover; let rest 1 hour.
- Roll each ball into a 6-inch circle. Place 3 circles on pizza stone. Bake at 500° for 5 minutes. Transfer pitas to top rack; bake an additional 2 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note