Yield: 6 loaves
- 1 3/4 cups wheat berries or 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
- 1. Assemble KitchenAid® Grain Mill and attach to KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Set Mill on Click 3. Turn to Speed 10 and grind berries into whole wheat flour. Set aside.
2. Mix flours together. Place 4 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt and yeast in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 15 seconds. Gradually add warm water and mix 1 minute. Continuing on Speed 2, and remaining flour mixture, 1⁄2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top, cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk about 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down and divide into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into 7-inch circle. Place circles on aluminum foil and let rise, uncovered, at room temperature for 1 hour.
5. Bake circles individually on foil at 500°F for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from foil immediately and cool on wire racks.
To purchase the KitchenAid® products used in this recipe, please visit www.shopkitchenaid.com
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pita Bread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads
More Recipes for Breads