More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 374
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 8.8g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 313mg
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- About 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semolina flour or cornmeal (see notes)
- About 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted pistachios or chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1. In a bowl, mix 2 3/4 cups flour, semolina flour, 3/4 cup sugar, pistachios, baking powder, and salt.
- 2. Cut 1/2 cup butter into chunks and add to bowl. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- 3. Add 1 1/3 cups milk and the lemon peel to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until evenly moistened.
- 4. Scrape onto a floured board and, with lightly floured hands, knead just until dough comes together (it will be sticky). Divide in half and form each half into a ball. Pat each ball into a 7-inch round about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into six equal wedges.
- 5. Place wedges 2 inches apart on a buttered 14- by 17-inch baking sheet. Beat egg yolk with remaining 2 tablespoons milk just to blend. Brush tops of wedges with egg mixture and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- 6. Bake on the middle rack in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until scones are richly browned, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Nutritional analysis per scone.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads