Pistachio Cardamom Ice Cream Pie
Kulfi, a lusciously dense, almost chewy Indian ice cream, is often flavored with pistachios and cardamom. It inspired this pie. If you'd like your topping to be a true pistachio green, use in-shell roasted pistachios—they tend to retain their color better than the type sold out of the shell.
More From Sunset
4 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Calories: 368
- Calories from fat: 62%
- Protein: 5.8g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 123mg
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Buttery Pie Pastry, using 3 tbsp. light brown sugar instead of the powdered sugar
- 5 cups pistachio ice cream (preferably not artificially tinted green), softened until easily spoonable
- 2 teaspoons rose water*, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons freshly shelled roasted salted pistachios*
- 1. Press cold pastry over bottom and up sides of a 9-in. pie pan. Crimp edges of pie with your fingertips and prick all over bottom with a fork. Chill 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Bake pastry on bottom rack of oven until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 3. Stir ice cream with rose water and cardamom until smooth. Spoon ice cream into crust, set on a plate, and freeze at least 4 hours.
- 4. Peel papery brown skin from pistachios with a paring knife, then put nuts in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Sprinkle ground pistachios over pie. Serve immediately.
- *Find rose water at well-stocked grocery stores and at Indian and Middle Eastern markets. In-shell pistachios are a brighter green than the type sold shelled.
- More pie tips:
- Let the pie soften for 5 minutes at room temp to make slicing easier.
- If you're having trouble freeing your pie from its pan, set it over a bowl of hot water for a couple of minutes and then slide a thin knife between the pan edge and the crust. It should pop right out.
- Make ahead: Once the pie is fully frozen through step 3, it keeps for up to 4 days, double-wrapped in plastic wrap. Top just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note