This was horrible!!! It took longer to bake both times, and it had no flavor at all. Wasn't worth wasting ingredients on this recipe!!!!
The lemon–milk mixture—a potent version of sour milk—will curdle when ready for use in this dish. The mixture â€œtenderizesâ€� the flour and helps give these cookies a crumbly texture. They're a great make-ahead option for a summer gathering.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 96
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 15.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 76mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1. Combine juice and milk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Combine 2 tablespoons melted butter, milk mixture, rind, and egg in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture, stirring until well blended (dough will be crumbly). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 7 times. Shape dough into a 4 x 12–inch log on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Remove log from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, cut log diagonally into 24 (1/2-inch) slices. Place slices upright on baking sheet; bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until crisp. Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.
- 5. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until chocolate melts, stirring once. Pour chocolate mixture into a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag; drizzle chocolate mixture over cooled biscotti. Let stand 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note