Piroshki are little turnovers that can be either sweet or savory. Rather than the traditional sour cream pastry, this version uses a commercial bread dough which dramatically cuts the fat.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen appetizers (serving size: 1 appetizer)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 105
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 14.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 276mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 (2-pound) package frozen white bread dough
- 6 cups thinly sliced napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Thaw dough in refrigerator 12 hours.
- Combine cabbage and salt in a large bowl; toss well. Let stand 1 hour. Drain well. Pat cabbage dry with a paper towel. Return to bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in carrot; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 8 minutes. Add lamb, cilantro, and garlic; cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain lamb mixture in a colander; pat dry with paper towels. Add lamb mixture and sour cream to cabbage; toss well.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Divide dough into 30 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining portions to keep dough from drying out), roll into a 4-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons cabbage mixture onto half of circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal. Place turnovers on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and brush with egg white. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, cabbage mixture, and egg white.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note