- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (large) red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 fresh red chiles, such as cayenne, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 Thai chiles, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion, cayenne chiles, Thai chiles, garlic and paprika and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 12 minutes.
Scrape the mixture into a blender and let cool slightly. Add the vinegar, lemon juice and water and puree until almost smooth. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.