Pioneer Woman's Macaroni and Cheese
Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) dried macaroni
- 1 whole(s) egg beaten
- 1/4 cup(s) butter
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- 2 teaspoon(s) dry mustard
- 1 pound(s) cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) seasoned salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- optional cayenne pepper, paprika, or thyme
- 1. Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat
- right out of the pot. Drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg.
- 3. In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over
- medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking
- constantly. Don’t let it burn.
- 4. Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five
- minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- 5. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg,
- whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till
- 6. Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- 7. Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- 8. Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned
- salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.
- 9. Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking
- dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until
- bubbly and golden on top.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KristinSessions and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pioneer Woman's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables