Pinto Beans, Ham Hocks, and Rice
To reduce the fat in this recipe, cook the ham hocks, covered, in 2 quarts water a day early; chill overnight. Skim the congealed fat from the chilled broth before adding beans and other ingredients; then cook as directed.
More From Southern Living
Soak: 8 Hours
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried pinto beans
- 2 (10-ounce) smoked ham hocks
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham (optional)
- Sort and wash beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans, and soak 8 hours. Drain.
- Bring beans and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in rice, bell pepper, and green onions. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove ham hocks, and let cool; remove and chop meat, discarding skin and bones. Stir in chopped meat from ham hocks and, if desired, 2 cups chopped ham.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note