Photo: Dave Lauridsen
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 239
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Sodium: 382mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 pound dried pinquito beans* or pinto beans
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 chopped medium white onion
- 1 to 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles, such as Ortega brand
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1. Wash beans and put in a large pot. Add enough water to cover beans by twice their depth. Cook over low heat, covered, until tender, 2 to 3 hours. Add enough water during cooking to keep beans covered by about 1/2 in. (they should be a little soupy).
- 2. While beans are simmering, cook bacon in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Add onion and chili powder and cook another 10 minutes. Stir in green chiles and minced garlic, and cook until flavors have mingled, 5 minutes more.
- 3. When beans are tender, gently stir in onion mixture, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid has thickened slightly but beans are still quite soupy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- *Order from susieqbrand.com or ranchogordo.com.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note