Pineappleambrosia Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (20-ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 6 walnuts, halved
- 2 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet; sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange 7 pineapple slices on sugar. Cut remaining pineapple slices in half; line sides of pan, keeping cut sides up. Place a cherry in the center of each whole pineapple slice; arrange walnuts between slices.
- Combine shortening, butter, and orange rind; cream well. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg: beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Stir in coconut and vanilla.
- Spoon batter evenly over pineapple slices in prepared skillet. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet 10 minutes, and invert cake onto serving plate.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings