Wanted an unplanned dessert..looking for something quick using ingredients I had on hand. This one was perfect...simple ingredients. Turned out great! Makes a pretty pie. Only thing I will change next time is I will probably use more pineapple. I only got 1 slice...my husband ate the rest. That won't happen next time!
Yield: one 9-inch pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, un drained
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine 1 cup sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan; add egg yolks, pineapple, and butter, stirring well. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Pour filling into pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, spreading to edges to seal. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Pies/Pastries