Wanted an unplanned dessert..looking for something quick using ingredients I had on hand. This one was perfect...simple ingredients. Turned out great! Makes a pretty pie. Only thing I will change next time is I will probably use more pineapple. I only got 1 slice...my husband ate the rest. That won't happen next time!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, un drained
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine 1 cup sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan; add egg yolks, pineapple, and butter, stirring well. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Pour filling into pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, spreading to edges to seal. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note