Pineapple Musubi Rolls
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 59 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 90
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 15.4g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 254mg
- Calcium: 10mg
- 3/4 cup uncooked short-grain rice
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces Spam Lite, cut into 2 (3/4-inch-thick) pieces
- 2 nori (seaweed) sheets
- 4 (4-inch) julienne-cut pieces fresh pineapple
- 2 (8-inch) pieces green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1. Place the rice in a fine mesh sieve. Rinse under cold water, stirring rice until water runs clear (about 1 minute). Combine rice and 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan, and cover. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Increase heat to high, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Combine rice wine vinegar, mirin, 2 teaspoons sugar, and salt in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cool.
- 3. Place rice and 2 tablespoons vinegar mixture in a bowl; toss. Cover with a paper towel soaked in remaining vinegar mixture.
- 4. Combine remaining sugar and soy sauce in a small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add Spam to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Add to soy mixture; toss. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove Spam from soy mixture; cut in half lengthwise. Reserve remaining soy mixture.
- 5. Cut off top quarter of each nori sheet along short end. Place 1 nori sheet, shiny side down, on a sushi mat covered with plastic wrap, with long end toward you. Pat about 3/4 cup rice mixture evenly over nori with moist hands, leaving a 1-inch border on 1 long end of nori. Arrange 2 Spam slices, 2 pineapple pieces, and 1 green onion piece along top third of rice-covered nori. Top with 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha and half of reserved soy mixture. Lift edge of nori closest to you; fold over filling. Lift bottom edge of sushi mat; roll toward top edge, pressing firmly on sushi roll. Continue rolling to top edge; press mat to seal sushi roll. Let rest, seam side down, 5 minutes. Slice roll crosswise into 10 pieces. Repeat procedure with the remaining rice, nori, Spam, pineapple, onion, Sriracha, and soy mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers
Food & Wine