I love this recipe! It's become a tradition to make this each year around the holidays when both pineapples and cranberries are readily available. This is an easy recipe to prepare & have baking while eating dinner.
Pineapple-Cranberry Spice Cake
Yield: MAKES: 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 3.6g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 0.0mg
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- 2 tablespoons plus 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces peeled and cored fresh pineapple
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. Lightly butter a 9-inch round cake pan. Cut 2 tablespoons butter into about 1/4-inch chunks and drop evenly over pan bottom. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup sugar.
- 2. Cut pineapple crosswise into four 1/4-inch-thick rings. Pat dry with paper towels. Sort cranberries, discarding decayed fruit; rinse and drain remaining cranberries. Lay pineapple rings in a single layer over sugar. Sprinkle cranberries in spaces around rings.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, coriander, nutmeg, and salt.
- 4. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and the lemon peel until blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well blended.
- 5. Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beating on low speed until incorporated, then beat on medium speed until batter is well blended. Pour batter over fruit.
- 6. Bake in a 350° oven until a toothpick inserted in center of thickest part (not touching fruit) comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a rack about 15 minutes. Cut around pan sides. Set a platter over pan and, holding both together, invert. Carefully lift off pan. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note