These delectable Pineapple-Coconut Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting start with a cake mix and are a favorite dessert for any gathering. Make an impression by making birds' nests with malted milk balls and edible paper as a garnish for these cupcakes.
Southern Living APRIL 2012
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and lightly coat with cooking spray.
2. Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Add sour cream and next 3 ingredients, beating well after each addition. Add cake mix, and beat at low speed just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling three-fourths full.
3. Bake at 325° for 25 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 45 minutes).
4. Scoop out centers of cupcakes, using a 1-inch melon baller and leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Discard or reserve centers for another use. Spoon a heaping tablespoonful Pineapple Filling into center of each cupcake.
5. Pipe cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting.
TRY THIS TWIST!
Pineapple-Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting: Omit buttermilk and cream of coconut. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, adding 1 cup finely grated carrots; 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, well drained; 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans; 1/4 cup vegetable oil; 1 tsp. ground cinnamon; and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger before adding cake mix, beating well after each addition. Proceed with recipe as directed.
We tested with Wilton Sugar Sheets Edible Decorating Paper.
Go to full version of