Great tasting cupcakes but had way too much icing and leftover pineapple filling. Icing was very runny...but delicious! I divided icing and added additional powdered sugar to give the frosting more body, but it still did not retain piping shape on cupcakes. I only got 18 cupcakes and used leftover cake, filling and icing to make small dessert for my husband and me!
Pineapple-Coconut Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting
These delectable Pineapple-Coconut Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting start with a cake mix and are a favorite dessert for any gathering. Make an impression by making birds' nests with malted milk balls and edible paper as a garnish for these cupcakes.
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 24 paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup cream of coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package white cake mix
- Pineapple Filling
- Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting
- Birds' nests: egg-shaped chocolate-coated malted milk balls; bright green edible paper, cut into strips
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- 2. Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Add sour cream and next 3 ingredients, beating well after each addition. Add cake mix, and beat at low speed just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling three-fourths full.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 25 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 45 minutes).
- 4. Scoop out centers of cupcakes, using a 1-inch melon baller and leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Discard or reserve centers for another use. Spoon a heaping tablespoonful Pineapple Filling into center of each cupcake.
- 5. Pipe cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting.
- TRY THIS TWIST!
- Pineapple-Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting: Omit buttermilk and cream of coconut. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, adding 1 cup finely grated carrots; 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, well drained; 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans; 1/4 cup vegetable oil; 1 tsp. ground cinnamon; and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger before adding cake mix, beating well after each addition. Proceed with recipe as directed.
We tested with Wilton Sugar Sheets Edible Decorating Paper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note