Pineapple Chicken Soup with Lemon Verbena
Sweet, tangy, and a little bit spicy, pineapple soup is a traditional meal in Southeast Asia. If you don't have lemon verbena growing in your garden, you could substitute other aromatic Asian herbs such as Thai basil or fresh cilantro..
More From Sunset
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 647mg
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- 3 cups cubed ripe pineapple, divided
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1 1/2 cups lemon verbena leaves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 8 ounces boned, skinned chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 cup trimmed clamshell mushrooms
- 1 tomato, halved and seeded, then cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 serrano chile, sliced
- 1. Whirl 1 cup pineapple with 3 cups of water until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain liquid into a 4 qt. pot.
- 2. Add broth, ginger, garlic, and verbena leaves. Simmer over medium heat, covered, until flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3. Strain mixture again, discard solids, and return to pot. Add remaining 2 cups pineapple along with the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until chicken is firm, about 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note