Was good to take to a pool party. The only issue I had was that the gels would fall off of the skewers when people were taking them. Very delicious though.
Piña Colada on a Stick
How's this for a fun twist on the classic sipper? Cubes of coconut gelée (with two beautifully distinct layers) nestle against rum-soaked pineapple for an unforgettable pick-up dessert or party sampler. It's easy to adapt for kids--just set aside some of the pineapple that you don't soak in rum.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 4 Hours, 56 Minutes
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 92mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 envelopes plus 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup white rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 whole pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 72 chunks
- 18 strawberries, halved lengthwise
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Spread coconut on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until golden, stirring after 4 minutes. Combine coconut, cream, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (do not boil). Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- 3. Place coconut water in a medium bowl; sprinkle gelatin over top. Let stand 5 minutes or until solid.
- 4. Strain coconut milk mixture through a sieve over a bowl, pressing to extract liquid. Discard coconut. Gradually add coconut milk mixture to gelatin mixture, stirring with a whisk. Return mixture to pan; heat over medium heat just until gelatin dissolves (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill 4 hours or up to overnight. (The layers should separate naturally.)
- 5. Combine rum and lime juice in a large zip-top plastic bag; add pineapple, and seal bag. Refrigerate 4 hours or up to overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- 6. Drain pineapple mixture. Cut coconut mixture into 72 cubes. Thread 2 pineapple chunks, 2 gelée pieces, and 1 strawberry half alternately onto each of 36 skewers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note