Pillowy Dinner Rolls
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 1/2 cup shortening, frozen
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup chilled buttermilk
- Parchment paper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 475°. Grate frozen shortening using large holes of a box grater. Toss together grated shortening and flour in a medium bowl. Chill 10 minutes.
- 2. Make a well in center of mixture. Add buttermilk, and stir 15 times. Dough will be sticky.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour over top of dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). Fold dough in half so short ends meet. Repeat rolling and folding process 4 more times.
- 4. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch floured round cutter, reshaping scraps and flouring as needed.
- 5. Place dough rounds on a parchment paper-lined jelly-roll pan. Bake at 475° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with melted butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note