Pilaf with Baked Eggs
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 413
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 8.5g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Sodium: 223mg
- Cholesterol: 246mg
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/3 cups grain mix or any individual quick-cooking grain (see notes)
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup (1/4 lb.) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Roma tomato slices
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan over high heat, stir butter and shallots often until shallots are lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Add grain mix and stir until grains are lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and marjoram, stir, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until grains are tender to bite, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Mix 1/2 cup cheese with pilaf. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 deep wells in mixture. Slide 1 egg into each well. Lay tomato slices around eggs.
- 4. Bake in a 400° oven until egg whites are opaque and yolks have desired texture, about 8 minutes for liquid yolks. About 3 minutes before eggs are cooked, sprinkle mixture with remaining cheese.
- 5. Use a wide spatula to scoop out pilaf and eggs, 1 at a time, and put on plates. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch