This recipe was great, and I usually don't like grits. I used some hot breakfast sausage and Swiss cheese I had on hand. It was very flavorful and the poached egg was a nice touch. I'm terrible at poaching eggs, but piling all of the broken egg chunks on top was still delicious!
Pigs in a Poke
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 32 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 19.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.5g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 595mg
- Calcium: 317mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 ounce andouille sausage, diced
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1.5 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3 cups milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Add grits; reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cheese.
- 2. Bring 8 cups water and vinegar to a simmer in a large saucepan. Crack each egg into a small bowl. Gently slide eggs into water; cook 3 minutes or until whites are just set. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon.
- 3. Divide grits evenly among 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 poached egg; sprinkle eggs evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note