Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 5 pierogi)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 394
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 57.7g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 748mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 1 cup diced peeled Yukon gold or baking potato (about 6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light), diced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts water
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced fennel bulb
- Cook potato in boiling water in a medium saucepan 10 minutes or until tender. Drain potato in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons cooking liquid. Return potato to pan. Add reserved cooking liquid; beat at medium speed of mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in potato, cheese, and next 4 ingredients (cheese through white pepper). Cover and set aside.
- Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Stir in 1/3 cup water and eggs. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading lightly 4 to 5 times. (Dough may appear dry but will moisten while kneading.) Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 5 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut 5 circles with a 3-inch round cutter,discarding dough scraps. Spoon 2 level teaspoons potato mixture onto half of each circle. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with floured hands to seal. Place pierogi on a large baking sheet sprinkled with 1/3 cup flour. Cover. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and potato filling.
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add 5 pierogi. Cook 3 minutes or until pierogi float to surface. Remove pierogi with a slotted spoon; place on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining pierogi.
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup sliced onion and 1/4 cup fennel; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add 12 pierogi; sauté 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated and lightly browned. Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining butter, onions, fennel, and pierogi. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This