This pie turned out delicious! A few recommendations: use the baking instructions on the box of the refridgerated pie crust. I used the directions included with the receipe and it didn't work out quite right. Also, next time I think I will sprinkle the coconut right into the custard, or definately put a light layer on top. I didn't use the meringue recipe (I used whipped cream instead) but the custard turned out simply wonderful. Can't wait to make it again.
Pie-O-Neer Coconut Cream Meringue Pie
Notes: Prepare Sunset's Favorite Pie Pastry or the Sunglow Pie Pastry,or use 1 refrigerated pastry (half of a 15-oz. package) and follow steps 5 and 6 of the Sunset recipe to line pie pan.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 399
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 6.6g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 8.5g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 234mg
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie
- 1 cup sweetened flaked dried coconut
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. With a fork, prick bottom and sides of unbaked pastry in pan at about 1-inch intervals. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
- 2. Scatter coconut over bottom of pastry.
- 3. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, mix 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, milk, and egg yolks until well blended. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over coconut in crust.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/3 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- 5. In a deep bowl, with a mixer on high speed (use whisk attachment if available), beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until very foamy. Add sugar-starch mixture, 1 tablespoon every 30 seconds, and continue to beat until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- 6. Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling. With a spatula, spread meringue evenly to rim of pie shell.
- 7. Bake in a 325° regular or convection oven until meringue is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 8. Let pie cool on a rack about 3 hours. Cut into wedges and serve, or invert a large bowl over pie (it shouldn't touch meringue) and chill up to 1 day.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts