Nana Hirl's Pie Crust
This recipe goes with Cranberry Apple Pie
Yield: Makes 1 double pie crust
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 cup ice water (use only 12-14 tablespoons water)
- 1. Process both flours, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add lard and pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, 5 to 6 times. Add butter and pulse 5 to 6 times, until it's pea-size. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 2 hours.
- 2. Remove mixture from refrigerator. Gently toss mixture with a fork. Add the vinegar, then the water, a tablespoon at a time; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened and the dough comes together and forms a ball. Gently gather dough into 2 disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 to 2 hours.
- 3. On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll 1 dough disk to 1/8-inch thickness (about 11 inches wide). Gently press dough into a 10-inch cast iron skillet, allowing excess pastry to hang over edges. (Do not stretch dough or it will shrink during baking.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes