- 1 loaf (1 lb.; about 4 1/2 in. wide, 14 to 16 in. long) sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette-style salad dressing, homemade or purchased
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives or green onion
- 3 to 4 ounces thin-sliced Swiss cheese
- 12 thin green bell pepper rings, seeds removed
- 6 ounces to 9 ounces thin-sliced cooked turkey breast
- 12 pieces thin-sliced salami (about 3 oz. total)
- 3 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- calories 394
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 23 g
- fat 13 g
- satfat 5.1 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 2.6 g
- sodium 970 mg
- cholesterol 48 mg
How to Make It
With a serrated knife, horizontally slice 1 inch off the top of the loaf. Pull soft center from bottom half of loaf, making a shell with 1/2-inch-thick walls. Reserve soft bread for other uses.
In a bowl, mix vinaigrette dressing, cucumber, tomato, and chives. Brush or spoon about half the dressing evenly over interior of the hollowed shell. Also spoon enough dressing on cut side of loaf top to moisten.
Layer cheese, bell pepper, turkey, salami, and onion in shell. Drizzle remaining dressing over filling. Set bread top over filling. Wrap sandwich in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.
Unwrap; cut into equal portions.