- 2 (3 1/2-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 to 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 pounds fresh sugar snap peas
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
How to Make It
Place cinnamon and cloves in a 4-inch square of cheesecloth; tie with a string.
Bring vinegar and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan, stirring often; add spice bag. Cool; remove spice bag.
Pack peas and garlic evenly in hot jars. Pour cooled vinegar mixture evenly over pea mixture, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles, and wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids and screw-on bands.
Process in a boiling-water bath 20 minutes.
Note: To store in refrigerator up to 3 months, omit boiling-water bath.