Notes: Serve with toasted rye bread or pocket bread, shredded cucumber, and reduced-fat sour cream.
Yield: Makes 4 appetizer servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 171
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 40mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 1/2 cup kosher white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 dried hot chilies (each about 2 in. long)
- 4 cardamom pods, hulled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 pound boned, skinned salmon, 1 inch thick, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups very thin white onion slices
- 1 1/2 cups very thin red onion slices
- 1. In a bowl, combine vinegar, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, sugar, dried chilies, cardamom, garlic, mustard seed, peppercorns, fennel, and coriander.
- 2. Add the salmon and mix. Cover and chill at least 2 or up to 5 hours.
- 3. Place white and red onions in a nonstick 10- to 12-inch frying pan. Drain marinade from fish into pan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4. Lay salmon on onions. Cover; simmer until fish is opaque but still moist-looking in center (cut to test), about 1 minute. Transfer fish and onion mixture to a jar or bowl. Let cool, then cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers