- 1/2 cup kosher white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 dried hot chilies (each about 2 in. long)
- 4 cardamom pods, hulled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 pound boned, skinned salmon, 1 inch thick, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups very thin white onion slices
- 1 1/2 cups very thin red onion slices
- calories 171
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- protein 14 g
- fat 4.8 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- carbohydrate 20 g
- fiber 2.9 g
- sodium 40 mg
- cholesterol 31 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, combine vinegar, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, sugar, dried chilies, cardamom, garlic, mustard seed, peppercorns, fennel, and coriander.
Add the salmon and mix. Cover and chill at least 2 or up to 5 hours.
Place white and red onions in a nonstick 10- to 12-inch frying pan. Drain marinade from fish into pan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Lay salmon on onions. Cover; simmer until fish is opaque but still moist-looking in center (cut to test), about 1 minute. Transfer fish and onion mixture to a jar or bowl. Let cool, then cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.