Pickled Red Onions (Mollie Katzen)
Onions are tangy and sweet, and keep a nice crunch. Ridiculously easy to make, & keep practically indefinitely. Try with hamburgers, salads, sandwiches, as antipasto. Based on Vegetable Heaven cookbook, by Mollie Katzen, pg 63. For more info about Mollie Katzen, go to www.molliekatzen.com.
Marinate: 3 Hours
- 1/2 cup(s) cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 3 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) peppercorns, whole
- 2 medium red onions very thinly sliced
- Preliminary: Fill a teakettle with 4 cups water and put it up to a boil.
- Combine vinegar, 1 cup of water, sugar, salt and peppercorns in a medium sized bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the onion slices in a colander in the sink, and slowly pour all the bowling water over them. They will wilt slightly. Drain well, and transfer to the bowlful of marinade.
- Cover and allow to marinate, refrigerated or at room temperature, for at least several hours. Store in the refrigerator, and use as needed.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ebelle and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pickled Red Onions (Mollie Katzen) Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Sauces/Condiments