- 2 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons pickling salt
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 5 pounds firm black plums (18 to 24 plums), quartered
- 8 pieces whole star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
How to Make It
Combine rice vinegar and next five ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil over high; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes.
Divide and pack plum quarters evenly into 8 (1-pint) canning jars. Add 1 piece star anise and 1 cinnamon stick half to each jar. Carefully ladle hot vinegar mixture over plums in jars, leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top of each. Wipe rims. Cover at once with lids; screw on bands. Let stand 2 hours. Chill 1 week before serving. Plums will keep up to 2 months in refrigerator.
Total time includes 1 week chilling