Good stuff! The peppers were a great addition to the sweet potato cornbread and slow cooker BBQ chicken recipes. Their tanginess balanced the sweetness of the bread and BBQ sauce. On their own, I found the final product to be a little salty for my taste, and next time will only use 2 Tbps of salt.
Pickled Peppers & Onions
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Ice water
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1. Soak onion slices in ice water to cover in a small bowl 10 minutes; drain. Place onion slices and bell pepper strips in 1 (1-qt.) canning jar.
- 2. Bring vinegar, next 3 ingredients, and 1 cup water to a boil in a small nonaluminum saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables in jar. Let stand, uncovered, 1 hour. Cover and chill 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note