Yield: 5 quarts
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 (2-inch) pieces fresh gingerroot
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 dozen firm, ripe pickling pears
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup red hot cinnamon candy (optional)
- Combine pickling spices, cloves, gingerroot, and lemon; tie in a cheesecloth bag. Set aside.
- Peel pears, leaving whole with stem intact. Set aside.
- Combine spice bag, sugar, vinegar, water, and cinnamon candy, if desired, .in a stainless steel stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pears, a few at a time; simmer 15 minutes or just until tender. Remove from heat; cool pears in syrup to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate 12 to 18 hours. Remove spice bag; discard. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Quickly pack pears into hot sterilized jars, and cover with syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process pears in boiling-water bath 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments