More From Oxmoor House
- 3 pounds (2 1/2- to 3-inch) okra pods
- 3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1/3 cup canning-and-pickling salt
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 small fresh hot red peppers, halved (optional)
- 1. Sterilize jars, and prepare lids.
- 2. While jars are boiling, wash okra and trim stems, leaving caps intact. Combine vinegar, salt, dill seeds, and 3 cups water in large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Place 1 garlic clove and, if desired, 1 hot pepper half in each hot jar. Pack okra pods tightly in jars, placing some stem end down and some stem end up and leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Cover okra with hot pickling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- 4. Seal and process jars, processing 10 minutes.
- 5. Remove jars from water, and let stand, undisturbed, at room temperature 24 hours. To check seals, remove the bands, and press down on the center of each lid. If the lid doesn't move, the jar is sealed. If the lid depresses and pops up again, the jar is not sealed. Store properly sealed jars in a cool, dark place up to 1 year. Refrigerate after opening.
Total time: 50 min., plus 3 weeks standing time
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This