Pickled Jerusalem Artichokes
- 1 1/2 pounds Jerusalem artichokes
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 (2-inch) stick cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Scrub artichokes thoroughly with a stiff brush; cut into thin slices. Combine water and salt, stirring to dissolve. Add artichokes and onion; cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain artichokes and onion; set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cinnamon, garlic, and cloves.
- Spoon artichokes and onion into hot sterilized jars; pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 5 minutes.
- Note: Pickled artichokes should be stored in a cool place at least 2 weeks before using.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note