We really enjoyed this. Used canola oil to fry instead of the olive oil to give it a more neutral flavor and I think it allowed the tomatoes to really shine. Other than that change in the oil,followed the recipe to the letter. Looking forward to making this again.
Pickled "Fried" Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk-Herb Dipping Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Total: 40 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 154
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 215mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices green tomato (about 4 tomatoes)
- 7 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1. Combine 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add tomatoes; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain tomatoes; pat dry.
- 2. Combine 5 tablespoons buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add panko to pan; cook 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in masa harina, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place panko mixture in a shallow dish. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Place flour in another shallow dish. Dredge tomato slices in flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture, turning to coat.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of tomatoes; cook 4 minutes. Coat tops of tomatoes with cooking spray. Turn; add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, tomatoes, and cooking spray. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note