- 2 (3-inch) sticks cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 5 cups sugar, divided
- 2 quarts water
- 4 quarts firm, ripe figs, peeled
- 3 cups vinegar
- Combine cinnamon, allspice, and cloves; tie loosely in a cheesecloth bag. Set aside.
- Combine 3 cups sugar and water in a stainless steel stock pot; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Add figs; cook over low heat 30 minutes. Add remaining sugar, vinegar, and spice bag, mixing well. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until figs are clear.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 12 to 24 hours in a cool place. Remove spice bag; discard. Slowly reheat fig mixture over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Pack figs into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process figs in boiling- water bath 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This