Pickled Dilled Beans
Crushed red pepper gives these beans a kick. A mix of green and yellow beans makes for a pretty jar.
More From Oxmoor House
- 3 pounds fresh green or yellow beans (5 to 6 inches long)
- 6 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2/3 cup canning-and-pickling salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
- 12 fresh dill sprigs
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1. Sterilize jars, and prepare lids.
- 2. While jars are boiling, wash beans, trim stem ends, and cut into 4-inch lengths. Combine vinegar, salt, crushed red pepper, and 2 cups water in a 3-qt. stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Place 2 dill sprigs and 1 garlic clove in each hot jar. Pack whole beans tightly in jars. Cover with hot pickling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and process jars, processing 5 minutes.
- 4. Remove jars from water, and let stand, undisturbed, at room temperature 24 hours. To check seals, remove the bands, and press down on the center of each lid. If the lid doesn't move, the jar is sealed. If the lid depresses and pops up again, the jar is not sealed. Store properly sealed jars in a cool, dark place up to 1 year. Refrigerate after opening.
Total time: 55 min., plus 3 weeks standing time
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note