Pickled Chipotle Asparagus
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 26
- Calories from fat: 6.9%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 5.6g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 551mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Canning Instructions
- 3 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 8 pounds asparagus
- 2 pounds baby-cut carrots
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 dried chipotle chiles
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 7 1/4 cups water, distilled vinegar, wine vinegar, salt, and pickling spice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Follow steps 1 through 4 of Canning Instructions, using six quart-size jars.
- 3. Snap off and discard tough ends from asparagus.
- 4. In an 8- to 10-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Add half the asparagus and cook until tender-crisp to bite, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl of ice water. Repeat to cook remaining asparagus and transfer to ice water. Add half the carrots to pan and cook until tender-crisp to bite, about 3 minutes; transfer to ice water. Repeat to cook remaining carrots and transfer to ice water. Drain vegetables. Trim asparagus to 6-inch spears, reserving ends.
- 5. Place 2 cloves garlic and 1 chile in each jar. Into five jars, equally pack asparagus spears and about 3/4 of the carrots vertically without forcing. Pack asparagus trimmings and remaining carrots into remaining jar.
- 6. Follow steps 5 through 11 of Canning Instructions, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace when you pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables in each jar. Bring water in canner to 180°-185° and process for 30 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2 cup drained.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables