Yield: Makes 5 quarts
- 3 1/2 pounds small fresh beets
- 3 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 20 whole cloves
- 4 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- Cut tops from beets, leaving a 1-inch stem. Cook beets in boiling water to cover 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 3 cups liquid.
- Pack beets and sliced onion into hot jars; set aside.
- Place whole cloves on a 6-inch square of cheesecloth, and tie with cheesecloth string.
- Bring 3 cups reserved beet liquid, spice bag, cinnamon sticks, and remaining ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven. Remove and discard spice bag and cinnamon sticks. Pour hot mixture into jars, filling to within 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles, and wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids; screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables