- 3 pounds (about 9) ripe red tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 3 pounds green tomatoes, cored
- 2 medium-size green peppers, seeded
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
How to Make It
Grind tomatoes, peppers, celery, and onion in a large glass mixing bowl, using coarse blade of a food grinder. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and let stand in a cool place overnight. Rinse several times in cold water; drain thoroughly.
Combine vegetable mixture and remaining ingredients in a stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring frequently.
Pack mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Serve with vegetables.