Super easy and very tasty! This recipe isn't heavy and will not weigh you down. I added extra chipolte peppers for some extra zing. My husband absolutely loved it!
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Stylist: Leigh Anne Montgomery
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 11.1g
- Carbohydrate: 16.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 395mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 8 (8-inch) soft taco-size corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1. Cook ground round in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 7 minutes or until meat crumbles and is browned. Stir in carrots, onion, and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and chipotle peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften. Serve mixture with warm tortillas. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per taco with flour tortilla and 1/2 cup beef mixture (not including garnish).
- Vegetarian Picadillo Tacos: Substitute 1 (12-oz.) package frozen meatless burger crumbles for ground round. Proceed with recipe as directed, sautéing crumbles in hot oil 3 to 4 minutes. Prep: 15 min., Cook: 13 min.
- Per taco with flour tortilla and 1/2 cup meatless mixture (not including toppings): Calories 173; Fat 6g (sat 0.8g, mono 0.8g, poly 2.7g); Protein 9.7g; Carb 20.6g; Fiber 2.5g; Chol 0mg; Iron 2.2mg; Sodium 548mg; Calc 63mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note