Pho (Vietnamese Beef & Noodle Soup)
This is the cheaters version of a great soup that can only be found in a Vietnamese restaurant. This recipe will make a lot more than two standard size servings. I usually eat my soup in one of my big glass serving bowls.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 10 cup(s) a good beef broth
- 1/2 whole(s) sweet onion thnly sliced (you can use a whole if you like)
- 2 tablespoon(s) fish sauce
- 2 whole(s) limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) chinese five-spice
- 350 grams of thinly sliced beef
- 4-6 cup(s) cooked rice noodles
- fresh basil leaves (as many as you like in your soup) leaves, not stems
- fresh coriander (as many as you like in your soup) leaves, not stems
- bean sprouts (as many as you like in your soup) whole
- sambal olek (Asian chili sauce) it is spicy - add it in small amounts 1/2 tsp
- Bring beef stock to a boil in a large stock pot with onion, the juice of 2 of the limes, fish sauce, and chinese five spice. Let stock boil for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain them and put them to the side.
- Slice the beef very thinly, you can either cook it, or add it to the beef broth just before putting it in the bowls.
- Prep the condiments (Rinse basil, dry, and put on platter for service. Slice remaining limes and arrange next to basil on serving platter).
- When noodles are cooked and drained, divide among bowls. On top of noodles, divide evenly the bean sprouts, and cilantro.
- Top herbs with rare beef divided evenly between bowls. Ladle hot stock over each bowl of noodles and beef. Serve immediately.
- Allow each person to season bowl to taste with additional lime juice, basil, sliced chilies, fish sauce and chili sauce.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Lisa2008 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note