I think this can be a very good pizza. Loved the toppings but had serious problems with the crust. I followed this recipe to the letter. Microwaving the dough was not a problem, but be sure to do so at 50% power. I think this might have been another reviewer's problem. I did heavily pierce the dough as directed, but I think the problem came in when my husband lifted the dough from the counter and must have flipped it over onto the hot pizza stone, which meant the pierced side was down. The result was a huge bubble of dough, cooked to cracker crispiness. Rather than throw it away, we covered the dough with a clean towel, and pressed the dome of crust down flat (being careful not to get burned by the steam). We then topped it as directed and ate it very carefully. Other than being a bit messy, it was quite tasty. The ground red pepper gave it a nice kick. I will try this again, and hope for better results with the crust. It would also be good on a ready-made crust.
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Photo: Francesco Tonelli; Styling: Tiziana Agnello
Serve with Smoky Haricots Verts and Mushrooms.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 wedges)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 25.9g
- Carbohydrate: 53.6g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 675mg
- Calcium: 172mg
- 8 ounces flank steak, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Smoky Haricots Verts and Mushrooms
- 1. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (keep stone or baking sheet in oven).
- 2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak with 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into very thin slices.
- 3. While steak cooks, place dough in a medium microwave-safe bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover and microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) for 45 seconds. Let stand 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a floured surface; pierce liberally with a fork. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven, and sprinkle with cornmeal. Arrange dough on pizza stone. Bake at 500° for 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- 4. While crust bakes, return skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion and bell peppers; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add steak; sauté 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and soy sauce. Arrange steak mixture over crust.
- 5. Combine milk and flour in a 4-cup glass measuring cup; stir with a whisk until smooth. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients. Drizzle cheese mixture over pizza. Cut into 8 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes