- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sifted powdered sugar
- Combine molasses and honey in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Add shortening; stir until well blended. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, soda, salt, allspice, mace, pepper, and anise in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Set aside.
- Add egg to cooled molasses mixture, stirring until well blended. Gradually pour into reserved flour mixture, stirring just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Allow dough to rest 15 minutes.
- Shape into 1-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and roll in powdered sugar. Cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note