Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour, plus at least 1 hour to freeze.
Yield: Makes about 72 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 76
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 0.9g
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 63mg
- Cholesterol: 9.5mg
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied citron
- 1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. In a small bowl, stir baking soda in 1 tablespoon hot water until dissolved; beat into butter mixture.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and salt. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended. Stir in pecans and citron.
- 3. Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a log about 11 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap logs separately in waxed paper and freeze until firm enough to slice, at least 1 hour.
- 4. Unwrap dough. Cut logs crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place about 1 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note