- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Simple Syrup
- Strawberry jam
- Petit Fours Frosting
- Grease a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan heavily with butter; set aside.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and allow to cool on wire racks.
- Wrap cake tightly in foil; freeze for several hours or until firm. Slice cake horizontally and brush layers with Simple Syrup; spread strawberry jam on lower layer, and replace with top layer (layers will be thin).
- Cut cake in 2-inch squares. Place squares two inches apart on a wire rack; place rack in a large shallow pan. Quickly pour the warm frosting over cakes, completely covering top and sides. Spoon up all frosting that drips through the rack, and reheat to pouring consistency; add a small amount of water, if necessary, to maintain original consistency. Continue pouring and reheating until all cakes are frosted. Allow frosting to dry.
- Place cakes on a cutting board; using a sharp knife, trim any surplus frosting from the bottom of each cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note