I have made this several times and it is delish. One thing to note, one time I made it with regular dry roasted peanuts and the next time with "no salt" dry roasted peanuts. I could really taste an over all difference, likely due to the fact that regular dry roasted nuts have several other seasonings added besides salt. I would just recommend adding a little salt and sautéing a clove of garlic along with the onion (which I will try next time). Also, don't skip the cilantro, it really adds to the overall flavor of the stew.
Peruvian Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Peanuts
Randy Mayor; Mary Catherine Muir
Cornmeal and potatoes are two of Peru's ancient staples; this recipe incorporates both. We also use a common Peruvian technique: thickening the broth with ground peanuts.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 32g
- Carbohydrate: 32.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 478mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups julienne-cut peeled sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place peanuts in a spice or coffee grinder; process until medium ground.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in ground peanuts, water, and next 5 ingredients (water through sweet potato); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in chicken; cook 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in cilantro.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare the soup as directed, but stop before adding the cilantro. Cover soup and refrigerate up to two days. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature; place in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the soup until thoroughly heated; stir in cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This