- Flour for dusting:
- 2 (10-ounce balls) prepared pizza dough*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried herbs, such as basil or oregano, optional
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cooked sausage, or 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly steamed vegetables, such as green pepper, onion, or broccoli, optional
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
How to Make It
Lightly flour a work surface and roll out each ball of pizza dough until about 12 inches in diameter. Use a round cutter about 2 1/2 inches wide, like a biscuit cutter or water glass, to cut out 12 dough rounds. (You may need to combine dough scraps and re-roll them out to make enough circles.) Roll out each circle until about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick and place on a cookie sheet. (Dough circles can be prepared a day ahead of time; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.)
Preheat oven to 350º. Using the back of a spoon or a pastry brush, lightly coat each round of pizza dough with oil. Top with tomato sauce and sprinkle on desired topping(s). Sprinkle with cheese and bake on middle shelf of oven for 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and crust is golden.
*Available at grocery stores, specialty-food shops, and pizza parlors.
How kids can help: Roll out the dough, "paint" on the oil, and select and spoon on the toppings.