Persimmon and Cardamom Sorbet
The naturally spicy persimmons pair with earthy cardamom for a refreshing, light dessert.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 180
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 38mg
- Calcium: 7mg
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups ripe Hachiya persimmon puree (about 4; see
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Combine sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Add persimmon puree and remaining ingredients, stirring well. Cool completely.
- Pour persimmon mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm. Remove sorbet from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
- Persimmon Puree Pointers. Ripe Hachiya puree is easy to make by following these tips:
- To speed the ripening process, freeze the fruit overnight or until solid. Thaw the persimmon; when soft, it will be sweeter and less astringent.
- Cut the ripe fruit in half. Scoop the pulp out with a spoon.
- To achieve an even consistency, place the flesh in a mini-chopper and process until smooth. This ensures the persimmon puree will incorporate evenly into batters.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Persimmon and Cardamom Sorbet Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Ice Cream/Sherbet
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead, 5 Ingredients or Less
- CUISINE: French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Saturated Fat, Low Sodium
- COOKING METHOD: Ice-Cream Maker
- OCCASION: Winter
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light