Yum! I made this twice in 4 days for two different holiday parties. Both times very well received. I did not have a tart pan, so I made it as a pie. At one party, I was told: "I don't like pies & I love this"; "I don't like persimmons and I love this"; "Your pie was the highlight of my evening". It is basically an apple pie made with persimmons. Turned out great both times, I did make some modifications the second time: 1) more persimmons! The persimmons shrink more than the apples; the second time I made it, I doubled the persimmons. 2) Less sugar: it's pretty sweet. I reduced the sugar a bit in both the topping & the filling, perfect. 3) More ginger: I added ginger powder & cinnamon in the filling. I would use fresh ginger in the filling if I had it.
Persimmon-Apple Tart with Gingersnap Streusel
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 1.9g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 154mg
- Cholesterol: 7.8mg
- Pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- About 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tart apples, such as Newtown Pippin or Granny Smith (1 lb. total)
- 4 firm-ripe Fuyu persimmons (1 1/2 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. Roll pastry out on a floured board to fit a 9-inch tart pan with removable rim.
- 2. Lay pastry in pan, easing into corners. Fold excess pastry down and flush with pan rim, then press against pan side so pastry extends about 1/8 inch above rim.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until pastry is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Use hot or warm.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together crushed gingersnaps, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons flour. Mix in melted butter. Squeeze mixture to form lumps. Set aside.
- 5. In a large bowl, mix granulated sugar and cornstarch. Peel, core, and thinly slice apples. Stem, peel, and thinly slice persimmons. Add fruit to bowl along with lemon juice and mix well.
- 6. Pour mixture into pastry and shake pan to settle filling evenly, then crumble gingersnap mixture over it.
- 7. Bake tart on lowest rack of a 325° oven until pastry is browned and filling bubbles, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Lay a sheet of foil over streusel if it begins to darken before pastry is done. Let stand until warm or at room temperature; remove pan rim.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts